About Us/ Sobre nosotros
Elementary School - Kindergarten - 6th grade
Escuela Primaria - Kinder - 6º año
WHAT IS THE TWO-WAY SPANISH IMMERSION PROGRAM?
- The Two-Way Spanish Immersion program at Nestor School is a language-oriented program designed to build fluency in both Spanish and English. Native Spanish and English speaking children have the opportunity to develop their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in both languages.
- In the Nestor school Two-Way Spanish Immersion program, Spanish is used as the primary language of instruction in the first years. English is introduced gradually into the curriculum. ALL students receive a high quality instructional program centered on academic success in both Spanish and English.
RESULTS FROM TWO-WAY SPANISH IMMERSION PROGRAMS
- Recent studies indicate that this model is one of the most successful in teaching a second language. This program offers a unique opportunity for English speaking students to become bilingual and biliterate in both English and Spanish. English speaking students acquire Spanish without risk to their academic achievement and English proficiency. Spanish speaking students acquire English while maintaining their primary language, thereby allowing for higher levels of English language achievement.
All subjects are taught based on the California Standards
Kindergarten and First Grade
All subjects are taught in Spanish. 30 minutes of daily instruction in English with an emphasis on oral language development through literature, music, poetry, and role-play. Homework is in Spanish.
All subjects are taught in Spanish. 60 minutes of daily instruction in English with continued emphasis on oral language development and the introduction of beginning readiness and literacy skills. Homework is in Spanish.
Most subjects are taught in Spanish. Formal English reading, writing, and spelling are introduced, 90 minutes of daily instruction in English with an emphasis on literature and reading. Most homework is in Spanish, with some English homework being introduced.
Subjects such as Mathematics, Social Studies or Science are taught in either Spanish or English. Spanish reading is continued along with 2 hours of daily instruction in English with continued emphasis on literature, reading, and writing. Homework is in both languages.
Fifth and Sixth Grades
Instructional time is evenly divided between Spanish and English. The two languages are used seperately during different periods of the day. Homework is in both languages.
Seventh and Eighth Grades
Instructional time is evenly divided between Spanish and English.
The following are stressed at all grade levels:
- California Standards
- Grade Level Curriculum and Objectives
- District Guidelines
- A language rich environment that features both oral and written communication
- Technology - one-to-one devices in grades 3-6
Program participation is on a voluntary basis. Parents are encouraged to become familiar with the Two-Way Spanish Immersion program before they decide to enroll their child. It is recommended that English speaking students enroll in kindergarten or first grade. For the Spanish speaking student, placement is also recommended at the primary grades. If there is no space available, the student will be placed on a waiting list.
DATA ON TWO-WAY IMMERSION PROGRAMS
- As of the year 2012, there are over 320 programs in the United States
- Most operate in Spanish and English
- Most exist at the elementary level
- Some programs continue through middle and high school
By the end of the program students will develop:
- Bilingualism and Biliteracy
- Fluency & literacy in both English and Spanish
- Academic excellence
- Positive cross-cultural attitudes and self-esteem
- Technology Skills
BENEFITS FOR STUDENTS
Students that learn a second language benefit in the following ways:
- Improves academic achievement
- Enhances commuinication skills
- Expands students' mulicultural views
- Provides future career options
- Learning a second language during childhood is the best time to develop fluency, pronounciation, and a natural ease of expression.